Tuesday, November 22, 2011

It is Good to Give Thanks - Happy Thanksgiving!


There is something special about the holidays, at least for me. Thanksgiving and Christmas has always been my favorite holidays as it is a time when the family gets together and the room is filled with joy and laughter. The excitement of seeing your loved ones who travel from near and far makes for a wonderful reunion. It is also a time to share, inviting friends who may not have a family to celebrate thanksgiving. My friends would always fit right in and become a part of the family.


Thanksgiving is also a time that reminds us of our loved ones who are no longer joining us at the table. I miss my father, he was a great cook and I really wish he was still here. I also miss my father in-law, we would laugh and talk about any and everything. I loved his pies, they were the best pies ever made. However, there are those of us who have loved ones in the hospitals, assisted living facilities and nursing homes. Take a trip to visit your loved ones and if possible, see if you can arrange for them to be released for the day. Sharing the holidays not only lifts the spirits of your loved ones, but it also sends a subtle yet profound signal to the staff. Family involvement is extremely important.


Whether you are watching the parade, the football games, your favorite marathon movies, reality shows or sitcoms, talking and laughing loudly - remember to cherish the moments. Give thanks not only for the food and family but give thanks for being able to share with others. With that said, make a plate and take it to someone who may live alone and are unable to get around. Enjoy and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment